Toilets save lives, increase productivity, create jobs and grow economies. Toilets work.
To celebrate toilets and the many different roles they play in improving the lives of people around the world, the Permanent Mission of Singapore and UN-Water are hosting the official World Toilet Day event for 2016 on the theme of toilets and jobs. The event is supported by UNICEF, ILO, UN Foundations and Water Aid.
The evening reception will include a series of short speeches from:
- Ms. Maria Calivis, Deputy Executive Director, UNICEF
- Mr. Guy Ryder, Chair of UN-Water and Director-General, International Labour Organization
- 71st President of the UN General Assembly (to be delivered by his Special Adviser)
- Ms. Jeanette Long, Vice-President of Marketing for the Americas, Lixil
- Ambassador Burhan Gafoor, Permanent Representative of Singapore to the United Nations
The keynote address will be delivered by Mr. Jan Eliasson, Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations. Mr Eliasson has been a strong supporter of World Toilet Day for many years and is an expert on issues related to water and sanitation.
Along with the speakers, there are also interactive displays, including:
- Learn about self-training modules from the International Labour Organization (ILO) on occupational safety and health that can help governments, workers and employers implement the ILO’s standards and codes of practices on water, sanitation and hygiene.
- Discover WASH4Work – a campaign aimed at mobilising greater private sector engagement in efforts to achieve the new Sustainable Development Goals, notably SDG 6.
- Visit WaterAid’s virtual reality booth and witness the rebuilding effort of water and sanitation facilities in the village of Kharelthok, Nepal, following the earthquake in August 2015.
- See how Lixil is helping people to access low cost, high quality sanitation products in East Africa.
Download event flyer.